Two months ago I got lingual braces at Park Orthodontics. So I guess it is safe to say at this point that I am pretty used to them and I thought it might be good to check in and give you some honest thoughts on the process so far…
- The progress. Honestly, just take a look back at this post when I first had them fitted. I truly cannot believe the difference in just ten weeks.
- 95% of the time food is my friend. I eat whatever I like, from sourdough toast to steak, I have given these wires a good test and they are rock solid.
- You cannot see them. At all. Not a single person I know has ever noticed I have them and, unless I tell them, they don’t know they are there. Which leads right into the awkward…
- When people want to see your braces and you have to open your mouth real wide and tip your head right back (picture a baby bird receiving its first meal) to show them.
- 5% of the time food is not my friend. For two days after I get a new wire fitted my teeth are tender and achy and, honestly, whilst there are probably plenty of soft foods I could manage, I usually wind up surviving on a self imposed smoothie style detox diet, powered by protein powder and overusing my Nutribullet.
- Cleaning them. I get something stuck in there on an almost daily basis. Stringy green beans, that steak I talked about up there, toasted marshmallow (not smart I know but it was worth it)… I do use my electric toothbrush at least twice a day though and find it works really, really well.
- Kissing. I am just gonna put it out there. Kissing just ain’t the same. Kissing your elderly relatives is absolutely the same, kissing your husband is not.
- The lisp. By now, the speech issues are all but gone save when I stumble over that one, single, pesky, little word. And that word is ‘brace’. Not a word I ever had much cause to say before but now, for obvious reasons, I find it comes up a lot more…
Now, I know there are many more points on the awkward list here but I refer you to the very first point on the awesome list – the progress. SO worth it.
P.S. Yeah, I realise now that I bear a striking resemblance to Inspector Gadget here. Let’s not make a big deal of it, ok?