There are so many awesome things about life with this guy that the awkward barely gets a look in but, with his 7th birthday coming up next week (Woah, where did that creep up from?), I thought it might be cool to take a look at what life is really like with the furry one. If you’re thinking about bringing a dog into your family or wondering how that works in a city I’ll try to give you a little insight right here.
– The shoes. You need so many shoes. Think of all that walking you’re doing? Miles and miles and miles. I do 4 walks a day with this guy, around 4-6 miles all in, and for that I need shoes. Next up? These babies – guilt free because I need them for walking the dog.
– When you realise that you are each other’s everything. This is your friend for life, you do everything together and, no matter what’s going on, when you look down and see that face, everything is ok.
– When you get fresh air and exercise for free every day – no questions asked (one could argue this for the awkward column also…).
– When his tail wags.
– When you stumble across all these beautiful parts of your city that, without dog walks, you just might never discover.
– When you feel like you live on the continent because you dine al fresco almost all the time. In Glasgow’s West End, Jelly Hill and Bar Soba have great outdoor heat lamps. (If that’s not your bag then The Finnieston, Big Slope and Stravaigin are all awesome and let you dine in with dog).
– When he finds a tennis ball in the park and is literally FILLED with pure glee.
– When it’s the weekend and he knows it’s a lie in day but he doesn’t mind and just hops on the bed and lies right in with you (Disclaimer: I’m pretty sure not all dogs are like this…).
– When you reach in your pocket to hand someone your business card at a fashion event and a poop bag comes with it. They are in every pocket of everything you own. Forever.
– When you bring home this tiny furbaby and bam, it hits you that this rests on you and you alone. You need to feed, water and love this little creature the very best you can. You hope you won’t use it but pet insurance is essential because, in that moment when you really need it, the last thing you want to be thinking is that you can’t afford to help him (Argos have some great options here).
– When you spend 2 hours brushing him and you create a pile of fur so big you’re not 100% sure which one is the real dog.
– When you do that last walk of the day in the dark and you have to take a video to get enough light to find, and scoop, the poop. Hundreds of videos of poop. Right there on your phone just waiting to be uploaded at the accidental click of a button…
– When it’s one of those rare and perfectly summery days when everyone is winding down with some beers and a barbecue in the park. No sausage is safe.
– When you want to go out anywhere for more than 5 hours without him. No bueno. (I get round this by taking him almost everywhere I go).
– When you upload to Instagram and it’s guaranteed he gets way more likes that any shot of you ever would (he even has his own hashtag – follow along with #TheLifeOfMrK).
– When he licks your teeth when you smile, your sweaty limb when you’re just done working out or your coffee cup (yep, that’s what happening in that last shot).
hat – H&M :: leather jacket – Todd Lynn (ON SALE!)
men’s shirt – Reiss :: shorts – Gap (similar)
slipper – UGG Australia :: bag – Ted Baker
friendship bracelet – Links of London
bali bracelet – Monica Vinader :: bracelet – Dower & Hall
leash – Ancol :: coat – Infindigo
This post is sponsored by Argos Pet Insurance. Thank you for supporting the posts which keep Thankfifi’s doors open.
Best post ever Wendy. It made me laugh so much as I recognise many of your observations of being a dog owner xx
So glad you enjoyed it – actually it was so fun to write too – made me really think about all the weird and wonderful things that go hand in hand with being a dog owner!
I recognise Scruffy Nellie in ALL the above.
I had a nasty norovirus thing this week – and Nellie delightfully licked the vom-bowl as it sat on the bathroom floor.
Dogs are just so special aren’t they?!
Super post and he is as gorgeous as ever!
Thanks so much Karen.x
*Whispers* don’t tell my cats – dogs are actually my favourite.
If you ever need a dog walker! I think we actually live pretty nearby each other.
Kate I can’t believe you just wrote that – don’t you know that cats know EVERYTHING?!
Love your hat :3
Absolutely adore this post!! Xx
Aww happy birthday to Mr K when it comes. completely agree with all of these, sebby is my everything and I also have poop bags in every pocket. You need to get a torch app for your phone though, poo videos are not good!
Torch app sounds like a winner!
Aww this made me smile 🙂 Mr K wins “awesome” every time for me!! x
Happy Birthday, precious Mr. K. !! I only wish I could meet him and hug him in person. I photocopied a photo of the two of you and placed it on the top part of a calendar.
Oh that’s very sweet – I hope his furry face makes you smile every day 🙂
I would love having a dog one day, but only if I knew I was going to be home enough. Don’t want to get one if you know you’re going to have to leave him/her alone for hours every day.
So true Nina, I am very lucky to be able to work at home or close to home most of the time with him at my feet.x
Happy birthday Mr K, really lolling at poop videos, find the assisted light widget on your phone!
Thanks Karen and yep, definitely need to look for that app!
OH MY your dog is so cute!!
Thanks Taylor – of course I agree with you 😉
I love this outfit Wendy! So perfect for summer, casual but oh so chic x x
Happy to see you looking as adorable as ever Wendy. And we are style twins as I’m wearing cut offs too in my latest post!
Aw thanks Rebecca, lovely to hear from you.x
I can relate to all of this. Happy Birthfay Mr K for when it comes. I never thought of having a dog till Rich insisted. We have had Murphy the bouncy black lab for 2 years now and life was not as much fun before him. It’s rhe unconditional love and joy he finds in everything that is so amazing to share x
Couldn’t agree more Jenna-Marie – they just have a joy for the simple things and it really does make you smile 🙂
I love this outfit, so cute!
Happy Birthday Mr K