Time for a little Barcelona catch up…
48 hours, maybe not even quite, is a mini break by anyone’s standards but we managed to fit in just about everything we fancied plus some unexpected extras (oh hi turquoise bicycle). I genuinely LOVED it and wanted to create a little 48 hour guide, as we did it, just for you (ok, and a little bit just for me – to remember). So the details:
– I flew from Prestwick, Fri pm – Sun pm, with Ryanair for about £100 return. (The beauty of these flights is that we didn’t need any time off work. The downside is that it’s budget – there literally aren’t even seat pockets.)
– We took the taxi from the airport to central Barcelona with 2 cases for 40e and took the train back to the airport for 4e each.
– We stayed at the beautiful Grand Hotel Central which gave us the perfect location for everything plus the added bonus of a stunning rooftop infinity pool and terrace bar (check it out here) which meant we knew exactly where to go when we arrived just before midnight. (If you’re looking for a budget option the Hostal Layetana was just across the road and non-guests can visit the GHC terrace bar after 8.30pm).
– We walked Las Ramblas and overdosed on colour and fruit at Mercat de la Boqueria.
– We took a chance and hired bicycles which proved to be the perfect way to see the beach and a lot of the coast in an afternoon, lunch in a beach bar and get a pretty special sunburn on our shoulders (complete with diagonal, camera strap back mark for me – extra special).
– We dined on tapas at Sagardi in El Born district which was also a great spot for icecream and drinks after.
– We visited the incredible Gaudi cathedral, Segrada Familia, early in the morning and boy is she a beauty. (I only wish we’d known you could beat the queues and prebook online – for this and Park Guell).
– We spent the afternoon sipping serious sangria cocktails and nibbling from a vat of guacamole in our bikinis in the baking sun on the hotel terrace and cooling off with the odd dip in the pool. (If you choose a hotel without a pool then I’m told there’s a beautiful outdoor public pool just a 10 minute taxi ride away – tell me more!).
So we put in some serious tourist time but had the balance by enjoying just enough pool time to make it feel like a holiday because you always want to feel like you’ve been on holiday…
I truly can’t recommend Barcelona enough and I think the husband is pretty fed up of hearing me rave about it at every opportunity; a good excuse to go back again with him no? For me it is the perfect destination for a weekend break, for friends, singles or couples, with sun, city, culture and sand. Have you been? Or have I convinced you to go?x
cami – Next (I got the shorts too)
skirt – Mango (similar) :: sandal – Ulanka
leather bag – Next :: glasses – Ray Ban
cora hat – Reiss :: bracelet – Hipanema @ Hush
winnie miami mint bikini – Triangl
I’m going in August with the man! Just need to sort which weekend, going to do Thursday night to Tuesday morning 🙂
Glad you had a lovely time here, the photos are gorgeous! I think the pool you were told about is the one in the Ciutadella Park (near your hotel), it´s 7€ for kids and 15€ for adults. http://www.cemciutadella.cat/instal-lacions.html
Next time you make it over, I think you´d like the Condes de Barcelona hotel – more rooftop pools and evening drinking! Take care x
You look gorgeous dear! 😉
Isa M., Tic Tac Living
Gorgeous post, it’s really given me the wanderlust bug even though I’m just back from holiday!
Love, love, love this…your photos are beautiful, looks like you packed so many fabulous things in, I cannot wait to go back soon xx
Beautiful!! I’ve been there and I enjoyed every second !
BCN is a beautiful awesome place
Your holiday looks SO amazing!!
Love your photos, you look stunning! Sounds like the perfect 48 hour getaway!
I really like your Reiss, lara weave bag that was in your Barcelona fashion shoot!
Bet you can’t wait to go back with your husband!
I’ve never been, but I would love to!
Nice pictures, I’m glad that you had great time there.
This post landed from heaven- just a month away before my trip to Barcelona!
Thanks Wendy 🙂